What Is Employment-Based Visa Sponsorship?

Employment-based visas allow a foreign national to work in the U.S. for a period of
time. This usually involves sponsorship for employment visa by U.S. employer to work
in the U.S.
When a company decides to hire a foreign national, it must abide by the process of the
U.S. Department of Labor and U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In
order for the foreign national to secure a visa, USCIS reviews an employer's offer of
sponsorship, which includes information about the worker's credentials and the nature
of the job offer. Future employees who are approved may only work in the position that
sponsoring employers offer. Furthermore, a foreign national is not able to apply for a
work visa until he/she finds an employer prepared to sponsor him/her.
USCIS categorizes temporary, or short-term, employment as nonimmigrant. Every fiscal
year, around 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas are made available to
qualified applicants. To be considered for an immigrant visa under some of the
employment-based visa categories, the applicant's future employer or agent must first
obtain a labor certification approval from the Department of Labor.
Some types of employment sponsorship visas may also require work certification, which includes a
process that validates that the employer needs that specific worker for the job and are
unable to find similar employees in U.S. laborers.
The most common temporary work visas provided are the following: H-1B, O-1, TN, and
● The H-1B visa provides the opportunity for foreign professionals to work in the
United States. It allows employers to hire qualified foreign workers in the U.S. in
specialty occupations on a temporary basis.
● An O-1 Visa is designed to allow foreigners at the very top of the arts, sciences,
sports, education, business, motion picture or television industries entry into the
United States for work for an initial period of up to three years.
● The visa category "Professionals Under the North American Free Trade
Agreement" (NAFTA), also known as a TN (Treaty NAFTA) visa, is available only
to citizens of Canada and Mexico, under the terms of the NAFTA.
● The H-2B working visa is a nonimmigrant visa which allows foreign nationals to
enter into the U.S. temporarily and engage in nonagricultural employment which
is seasonal, intermittent, a peak load need, or a one-time occurrence.
Filing an application for immigration visa or a non-immigrant visa is challenging. Contact
Elektra B. Yao, Esq. if you want to file for an employment based visa. She can inform
you of which options best suit your needs.